‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except… the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation.
As the television is filling up with the Christmas programming I thought it would be good to compile a list of what are my favorite alternative Christmas films. I have composed a list of my favourites and I am sure you all have yours. I have excluded the usual ones, especially the saccharin ones because I don’t really enjoy them.
There is nothing better than a bit of Bruce at Christmas, with that bloody vest and eastern Eurpean baddies. Alan Rickman puts in a stellar performance, that is definitely on a par with his Sheriff of Nottingham. Watching Die Hard is a bit like having a cuddle. The pacing is spot on and it balances suspense, undertones of comedy and violence that puts it right up there.
So, here is my list. Please feel free to add your favourites in the comments. Enjoy!
- Die Hard – enough said
- Die Hard 2 – not as good as 1 but pretty good
- Bad Santa – I love this take on Santa
- Trading Places – Murphy is great
- Batman Returns – excellent Keaton and Burton combo
- Lethal Weapon – best christmas tree scene in a film
- Scrooged – Murray gold
- Gremlins – Spike is my hero
I also wanted to include a list of the weird Christmas films that I want to get around to seeing at some point. Not sure how good any of these are; reviews welcome in comments.
- Jack Frost (not the Michael Keaton one)
- Rare Export: A Christmas Tale
- Black Christmas
- Don’t Open ‘Till Christmas
- The Ref